Peanuts are one of America’s favorite snack foods hence there is a day dedicated to Peanuts. It is the National Peanut Day which is celebrated every year on 13th September.
Many people might not be knowing that the peanut plant originated in South America.
Actually, peanuts are not nuts. They are “legumes”, like peas, beans, and lentils.
Apart from being a snack food, peanuts are also used as a main ingredient in peanut butter. They are also used in a variety of recipes, and is a topping for countless foods and desserts.
Celebrate National Peanut Day by eating a peanut butter sandwich or a sprinkling of peanuts on an ice cream sundae, or simply eating just peanuts.
Some Peanutty Facts and Fictions:
- Peanuts are naturally cholesterol free.
- Unitewd States produces around 6% of the world total peanut crop.
- 20% of the world’s peanut production is used in candy.
- Two US Presidents have been peanut farmers: Thomas Jefferson and Jimmy Carter.
- Georgia is the number one producer of peanuts in the US and hence peanut is the official state crop of Georgia.
- Peanut shells can be used in manufacturing of wallboard, fireplace logs, roughage for livestock feed, etc.
Make sure you go out an get yourself some peanuts today!!!
Other Peanuttiest of days of the year:
National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day on 2nd April
National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day on 1st March