Dussehra is the tenth day of the 10 days Hindu festival Navratri being celebrated every year in all the states of India. It is said that on this day Lord Ram got victory over Ravana. This victory is considered to be the victory of goodness and truth over evil.
During Navratri people perform a play namely Ramlila in different parts of India. This play narrates the fight between Lord Ram and Ravana and all the aspects of the Ramayana. The Dussehra celebration has fireworks to mark the occasion.
Below is the list of few popular Ramlila Shows in Delhi :
1. Shri Ramlila Committee : It’s the oldest and most traditional Ramlila one in Delhi. It was started by Mughal king Bahadur Shah Zafar around 180 years ago for his army and people. The venue is Ramlila Maidan.
2. Shri Dharmic Leela Committee : The Lord Ram Lila Committee of Shri Dharmic Leela Committee presents new and lesser known episodes from the Ramayana are added to the show each year. It is popular because of its chaat bazaar (food stalls), featuring street food from all over India. The venue Subhash Maidan.
3. Lav Kush Ram Lila Committee : This Committee is established in 1979. It is famous for inviting celebrities and putting on quite a lavish show, with top professional actors. The burning of Ravana takes place with special hi-tech effects. The venue is Lal Qila Maidan.
4. Nav Shri Dharmik Leela Committee : The Committee is since 1958. It also makes the most of technology to create a captivating and dramatic display. The effigy of Ravan is one of the tallest in Delhi. The venue is Red Fort Lawns.
5. Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra : Established 1957 this is an Indian cultural institution that runs a notable school for music, dance and performing arts. Its been putting on a Ramlila dance-drama choreographing both folk and Indian classical dance forms every year with an English translation. The main story line and characters are always maintained. The venue is Lord Ram Bharatiya Kala Kendra theater.
Navratri & Dussehra 2018 Dates :
In 2018, Navaratri will be celebrated from on 10 to 18 October 2018.
Dussehra will be celebrated on 19th October 2018.