Nanakshahi Calendar is the calendar used by people of Sikh community. Name of this calendar has been taken from the name of Guru Nanak who is the founder of Sikh Religion.
Every year, the Sikh New Year begins on 14th March (1st Chet) and there are 12 months in this calendar and the year ends on 13th March.
Nanakshahi Calendar Year 544 started on 14th March 2012 and will get over on 13th March 2013.
Similarly Nanakshahi Calendar Year 545 will start on 14th March 2013 and will get over on 13th March 2014.
Format of Nanakshahi Calendar :
|Name||Punjabi||Days in Month||Julian Months|
|Chet||ਚੇਤ||31||14 March – 13 April|
|Vaisakh||ਵੈਸਾਖ||31||14 April – 14 May|
|Jeth||ਜੇਠ||31||15 May – 14 June|
|Harh||ਹਾੜ||31||15 June – 15 July|
|Sawan||ਸਾਵਣ||31||16 July – 15 August|
|Bhadon||ਭਾਦੋਂ||30||16 August – 14 September|
|Assu||ਅੱਸੂ||30||15 September – 14 October|
|Katak||ਕੱਤਕ||30||15 October – 13 November|
|Maghar||ਮੱਘਰ||30||14 November – 13 December|
|Poh||ਪੋਹ||30||14 December – 12 January|
|Magh||ਮਾਘ||30||13 January – 11 February|
|Phagun||ਫੱਗਣ||30/31||12 February – 13 March|
The Nanakshahi calendar is used for all the Gurpurabs (festivals marking events in the lives of the Gurus) except the birthday of Guru Nanak which continues to be celebrated according to the Hindu Lunar calendar on Katik Poornamashi.
The Sikh festivals are celebrated as Gurpurabs, meaning “Guru’s Remembrance Day”. Gurpurabs are commemorated to mark the birth anniversary or the martyrdom of any one of the Sikh gurus.
The Birthday of the Guru is celebrated as Parkash Utsav, The day they became Guru is celebrated as Gur Ghaddhi while the day they left this world is remembered as Jyoti Jot.
Please find below list of main Sikh festivals (Gurpurabs) according to Nanakshahi Calendar 2013.
- 5th January 2013 (23rd Poh) – Guru Gobind Singh’s Birthday
- 31st January 2013 (19th Magh) – Birthday of Guru Har Rai
- 14th March 2013 (1st Chet) – Guru Har Rai became the seventh Guru / Nanakshahi New Year Commences – 1 Chet
- 19th March 2013 (6th Chet) – Guru Hargobind passed away
- 28th March 2013 (15th Chet) – Hola Mohalla
- 13th April 2013 – Vaisakhi
- 14th April 2013 (1st Vaisakh) – Birthday of Guru Nanak / Ordination of Khalsa
- 16th April 2013 (3rd Vaisakh) – Guru Angad & Guru Harkrishan passed away / Guru Amardas becomes the third Guru & Guru Tegh Bahadur becomes the ninth Guru
- 18th April 2013 (5th Vaisakh) – Birthday of Guru Angad Singh and Guru Tegh Bahadur
- 2nd May 2013 (19th Vaisakh) – Birthday of Guru Arjan Dev
- 23rd May 2013 (9th Jeth) – Birthday of Guru Amardas
- 11th June 2013 (28th Jeth) – Guru Hargobind becomes the Sixth Guru
- 16th June 2013 (2nd Harh) – Martyrdom of Guru Arjan Dev
- 5th July 2013 (21st Harjh) – Birthday of Guru Hargobind
- 23rd July 2013 (8th Swan) – Birthday of Guru Har Krishen
- 1st September 2013 (17th Bhadon) – Guru Granth Sahib first installed at Golden Temple
- 16th September 2013 (2nd Assu) – Guru Amardas and Guru Ramdas passed away / Guru Ramdas becomes the fourth Guru / Guru Arjan becomes the fifth Guru
- 18th September 2013 (4th Assu) – Guru Angad becomes the Second Guru
- 22nd September 2013 (8th Assu) – Guru Nanak passed away
- 9th October 2013 (25th Assu) – Birthday of Guru Ram Das
- 20th October 2013 (6 Katik) – Guru Har Rai passed away / Guru Harkrishan becomes the Eighth Guru / Guru Gobind Singh declared as the Guru of all times
- 17th November 2013 – Birthday of Guru Nanak
- 24th November 2013 (11th Magh) – Martyrdom of Guru Tegh Bahadur / Guru Gobind Singh became the tenth Guru