A Christmas market, also known as Christkindlmarkt, Christkindlesmarkt, Christkindlmarket, and Weihnachtsmarkt, is a street market associated with the celebration of Christmas during the four weeks of Advent.
Although these Christmas Markets originated in Germany, Austria, South Tyrol and Alsace, today such Christmas Markets are being held in many other countries across the world.
Here we present to you the best 10 Christmas Markets in Europe which are worth visiting this Christmas.
Top 10 Christmas Markets in Europe :
- Vienna, Austria : One of the largest and most festive christmas market is around the city hall. Apart from this market, city also hosts many other markets.
- London, England : London has many Christmas markets with Covent Garden being one of the larger ones.
- Talinn, Estonia : Here a popular Christmas market is set in city’s town hall square.
- Stockholm, Sweden : Everything from handicrafts to Christmas foods is available in Christmas markets setup here.
- Brussels, Belgium : The city has a long tradition of holding spectacular festive Christmas markets.
- Hamburg, Germany : The city hosts many Christmas markets and there’s even a Christmas parade that takes place in the city.
- Basel, Switzerland : Christmas market setup here sell art & craft from all over Switzerland.
- Aachen, Germany : Here the Christmas market is set around the 1200 year old Aachen Cathedral.
- Colmar in Alsace region of France : This small town hosts multiple Christmas markets.
- Prague, Czech Republic : Here a Christmas market is set against the backdrop of historic monuments. Includes nativity scenes and petting zoo.